Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Critique #3


Hue Thao
         This week’s presentation was the very well done - the best by far. Both
Jason and the other group gave clear and well-organized information. There was
not much flaws to be noted so I won’t criticize the presentation as much - instead
I will talk about the issues and ideas that both groups presented.
To begin, Jason’s presentation was well informed. He was able to talk
about his research and seems, as he knows what he was talking about. He
answered the questions thrown at him and was able to send his message to the
audience without having to read the slides. The slides were simply background
information so that was a good thing I liked about the presentation - clearness,
understanding the subject, and presenting his research.
        The video at the end was interesting. I like how the dad was able to stay
strong and stable even after the burning of his donut shop. The power he had as
a survivor carried him through to rebuilding his and his family’s life. I would say it
takes a whole lot for a man to let something as huge as the burning down of his
house, slide. Nothing can defeat the soul of a survivor, and for someone to get
back on his feet and start over is definitely a force to be reckoned with.
For the other group with Tri, Christina, and Amy, they had a unique
presentation. They were well organized, although you can see flaws with how
they were giving out their information. More or less they were not assertive about
their subject, which can be a bad thing. Regardless, going back to the
organization of the group, I really liked the fact that they went from giving
background information to having a group conversation. Although I did not
partake in speaking out in class, I thought that it was a great idea to get the
audience’s point of view too. A discussion is most of the time more favorable
than a lecture.
            On that note, to conclude, I would like to end this critique or analysis of
the presentation by answering the question that they posted: Is it important for
schools to provide “safe spaces” for ethnic communities? I can go on and on
about this question because it is very controversial, but to summarize it all in one
word - NO. This is simply my opinion in attempts to see if my answer will help
this group with their research. I say it is a bad idea for schools to incorporate
safe spaces for “ethnic” communities. No doubt there is a huge list of pros for
why they should implement, but the overall idea with one con is enough to say
NO to the question. It is good to have groups so that each ethnicity can have
related ideas and backgrounds. Once people find common grounds with one
another, they become more attached to each other - this is a good thing. In
addition, its good to hang out with people who are off your own specific identity, I
am all for that because I do attend my own specific club called Hmong Student
Union.
           HOWEVER, these “safe spaces” are only creating the same problem they
were facing and instead of running away...One has to face his or her opponent
head on, it’s the way one learns and grows. Instead of dividing groups into their
own subcategory organization, I would say it is more beneficial to create a group
where all and anyone are welcomed. The problem in the first place was that
people overlook the Asian community over the White community or why the so-
called “superior” group targets the Asians. Just by the way I grew up, I realize
that facing your problems head on is what separates one from another. By
creating a safe spot specifically for one ethnic group will further distance and
draw an even bigger line of hatred amongst both groups. A great example was
Linda’s concept about creating the VSA group and was targeted even more.
Although I may not be idealistic, I would much rather prefer creating a safe spot
in general for the entire community, not just a group. To close my statement,
once people share together blood, sweat and tears, they become one. They
become a unit of a whole. Yes it is dangerous to simply approach the problem
head on and yes it is scary most of the times, but if you don’t face the problem
and go create a more distinct group, only more turmoil will surface.

1 comment:

  1. You spent a lot of time and thinking into this. Much appreciated. -Prof. Valverde 4/4

    ReplyDelete