Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Inter-/Intra-ethnic Relations


Justin Phan
Professor Valverde
ASA 150E
Inter/intra-Ethnic Relations
            For Tuesday’s presentation, I think both groups did really well in presenting their information and being informed about it.  I think both groups went about the topic of inter and intra-ethnic relations in a different way and although Jason’s presentation was not overtly discussing intra ethnic relations, I think it can definitely be expanded to that view. 
            As shown when Professor Valverde and Jason speculated between the different Cambodian donut shops, we can start going off on a limp in saying that there are some intra-ethnic relationships forming and being reinforced through the perceived hours of work.  I know that it’s mostly speculation, but I would love to hear more about the intraethnic solidarity movements if any—or the interethnic respect given to one another within the donut shop business. 
That said, I wish that Jason had used a different means of comparison when talking about the percentage of Cambodians who would end up as donut-shop owners than the amount of college graduates who end up finding jobs in the humanities and social sciences.  Although I think this was an interesting correlation, I think the stark differences with educational attainment play a large part in determining who will be a part of the donut shop workforce and those who will be unemployed from a depleting job market.  I think it would have been interesting to use the number of high school graduates if possible because I large part of me feels like, and also thinks that, it’s more related to that than college graduates and the extent to which they find jobs that have to do with their major.  I might just be anal right now with that, but I think that there could be a better correlation to overall help your paper/research topics. 
For Christina, Mimi, and Tri Thien’s group presentation, I thought it was really thought provoking to me.  Although the article was outdated, I think the group did all they could to address how the article could be problematic, offered solutions, and really engaged the students in the conversation as well.  I thought it was a fresh change to how we’ve learned in the past.  In addition, I loved the discussion about safe spaces because I think it’s become much harder to differentiate between what’s considered a safe space, and what’s considered a safe clique.  I know that Linda brought this up earlier during the presentation, but I think it’s really interesting to tap into the processes in how one conceptualizes a safe space and what one is really striving for.  We talked about social justice in class and I think that’s one principle that underlines most of the work in trying to develop a safe space.  I think the group did a really great job in trying to start conversation and dialogue about making things more accessible and just for all peoples—whether they dissent or conform. 
            All in all, I just want to reiterate that I thought the presentations were really good and informative in their own ways (with data, and with community activity).  I enjoyed the conversations had and would love to hear more about what everyone has to say in the final oral presentation. 

1 comment:

  1. Very good insight and help feedback. -Prof. Valverde 4/4

    ReplyDelete