Sunday, April 28, 2013

Liz Shigetoshi - Week 4

In the chapter “A New Home in America” in Hmong America, author Chia Youyee Vang describes the process and repercussions of the resettlement and migration of the Hmong refugees in the United States. The author also discusses the motivation for moving to states like California, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania; some motives include the availability of jobs, skills training, education, welfare benefits, and the climate. I thought it was interesting how the US federal government made an effort to discourage the Hmong from dispersing to areas where Hmong populations were already present. From the article, I wanted to know if this is discouragement expressed with other refugees of other races? And has it helped the spread of policy for on a national and local level? How so? Since Hmong communities are very family and culturally oriented, I can imagine it would be really hard to separate from my comfort zone, and be dropped into an environment where I felt potentially unwelcomed or misunderstood. I’ve always lived in northern California, which is considered to have the most diverse cities in the United States, and while going to UC Davis, I’ve met several people who have never heard of the Hmong or Mien. I think there is a definite need for other parts of the United States to become aware of the Hmong community, but at the same time it’s part of their culture to stay in contact and stay close together.






No comments:

Post a Comment