Friday, March 6, 2020

ASA 150E Jennifer Nguyen Bernal Week 10

Jennifer Nguyen Bernal
Professor Valverde
ASA 150E
The class overall informs the history of Southeast affecting the countries, the people, and their diaspora. I understand other communities were affected by the Vietnam war beside Southeast Asians, and the Southeast Asian Americans. However, I would like to have learned more about the perspectives of communities of Latinx, African Americans, Native Americans, and Asian Americans in America. Although I know my family's experience of the war, I have little knowledge of how it affects these communities of color in America and how it affects lives. I want to understand and know how these communities resist the Vietnam war in America. There were new perspectives I have learned about through this class, though. I know Vietnam's view of the Vietnam war now since I only know the dominant narrative that America wants to keep. I like how I was able to have readings that cover the perspective of the Vietnamese soldiers who fought in the Vietnam war since I never got to hear their experiences through the war. I knew the three waves of the Vietnam war since I have listened to the experiences of people from those three waves. However, I never knew there were already some Vietnamese in the States before the fall of Saigon in 1973. I felt that the class made me reflect as a Vietnamese American since I have eternalized some of my family experience and made it my own. I realize that many Vietnamese Americans do this also since they also push their voice aside to represent the stories of refugees of the Vietnam war and don't discuss their experience. The lectures during class were informative of the history based on the readings, which made me have a better idea of the timeline. I thought it was helpful when the texts were covered in the lectures since I didn't fully understand the reading at times. The project was organized by having an assignment assigned each week. However, it was confusing since I didn't have a clear idea of the group project despite reading the syllabus. Overall, the class taught me the history of Southeast Asian and the perspective of the Vietnamese during the Vietnam War. 


How can students be able to help those who have internalized their family trauma and experiences? 
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEifoaO3abVKuDVm0y7qi_GcK89vuJ-wYnkyJEwSGg9vPliNAb509fwd_llHVny2H7lHGp2HpNnr6TzOAa9m_mFu32_ZQknXRQx9by2SDmZJn4ztDk7adFihH1bs_Ecvrg7FPtsq8Tssb9VY/s640/southeast_asia_map.gif








No comments:

Post a Comment