Friday, March 6, 2020

Week 10_Daphne Lun_ASA150E

Overall, this class has broadened my sense of knowledge about the SEA community. This course was my first and only course that went into such specific detail about how institutions lie to us. It was scary to recognize what kind of ignorant bubble I was living in before this quarter and am grateful I had this class as a resource to help me create a clearer perspective of life. It has made me be aware of my surroundings, question the institutions that I grew up not second-guessing its validity, and act more mindfully in the information I do trust. 


I appreciate how the readings and assignments were broad, so the material did not seem repetitive. The blog posts in general were a great tool to stay on top of the readings while connecting concepts to the contemporary world. It was a good way to learn about the past while identifying its relevance in today’s society. Not many people recognize the SEA community, so researching on my own about the various current events and situations affecting them made me more compassionate and empathetic to other Asian groups. 


My question this week would be, why is it not mandatory for all university students to take at least one ethnics class? Having this course helps create a more sensical understanding of the world from a different perspective. It would be beneficial to dedicate a spot in the GE requirements so all students can have the opportunity to develop an “unconventional” view of our society.  


Bik, L. Students Protest in support of Ethnic Studies Assembly Bill. Retrieved from https://sundial.csun.edu/156440/news/students-protest-in-support-of-ethnic-studies-assembly-bill

No comments:

Post a Comment