Sunday, March 8, 2020

Week10_Tiffany Huynh_ASA150E

When I first enrolled in ASA150E, I had expected it to be formatted similar to how other ASA classes are. I was prepared to do my fair share of readings and essays and expected to learn a lot about Southeast Asian and Southeast Asian-American hxstories and experiences through a traditional presentation format. However, since the first day, I noticed this class was going to be much different. Professor Valverde constructed the class in a very non-traditional and unique way. I like how this class had a different structure than I was used to, because it allowed for me to learn in a different way, challenged me to think more critically, and helped knowledge be reinforced in a unique and helpful way.

Something I really liked about this class was how it took a shift and diverged from the traditional ways in which SEA hxstories, especially ones regarding the Viet Nam war, are discussed. It was a breath of fresh air to diverge and turn the focal point towards new, and less dominant, narratives. I really appreciated how we took time to consider other narratives from diverse backgrounds because not only have Vietnamese perspectives been silenced, but so many other narratives have been too, and I think it's truly important to make sure these narratives are known just as prelevantly. 

Another thing that I really appreciated was how Professor Valverde advocates for the narratives of new generations, especially generations who are getting further removed from the war, to be heard. As a Vietnamese American girl who is from a generation not directly affected by the war, I grew up struggling with my identity. I felt like my narrative wasn't valid, and I felt pressure to internalize the narratives of those in my family who came before me. However, I now realize that my narrative and experiences are apart of the very hxstories that I grew up learning about, and my story is just as essential towards striving towards growth and healing. Something I will leave this class thinking about is, how can our ethnic studies program be diversified further? How can our program, especially here at UC Davis, be encouraged to grow? Though we have made much progress, I think it's important that we continue striving to expand and always grow more as a program so that future generations can continue to thrive more.
Image result for ethnic studies uc davis

Sources:


No comments:

Post a Comment