Sunday, March 1, 2020

Week9_ Tiffany Huynh_ ASA150E


In this week's reading, "War, Genocide, and Justice" by Cathy Schlund-Vial, we had the opportunity to learn more about Cambodia's hxstorical experiences with the war, especially during the Killing Field and Khmer Rouge era. Through this, we were able to discuss the hxstorical traumas and experiences that folx endured. To me, this week's readings were really eye opening, especially as we diverged from discussing the Vietnam War and shifted towards the Khmer Rouge and Cambodia. Through my education I had seldom heard about the Vietnam War, but I also recognize that I also haven't been taught about the Khmer Rouge either. This ultimately reminded me how, in general, the whole SEA community is very much excluded and censored in hxstory.

I feel like this is a relevant issue to consider, especially as the SEA community is fighting so many prevalent issues currently - predominantly issues in relation to how our community is heavily marginalized and not seen and recognized, especially by the government. To this day, we are still clumped under the umbrella of "Asians," and because of that, folx from the SEA community are struggling so heavily today. Though we are Asian, I feel like it is important to recognize the different struggles SEA folx specifically struggle. This makes me consider, how can we make SEA hxstory more prevalently known? How can we integrate it more into our educational system in the form of ethnic study programs and more representation?

Image result for know history know self


No comments:

Post a Comment