Saturday, March 7, 2020

Week 10- Sidney Siu

Sidney Siu
ASA 150E
Week 10

When adding this class during the first week of this quarter, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I knew it was going to teach me a lot about Southeast Asia, the diaspora, and their experiences, but my knowledge on Southeast Asia was very limited. Now ending the quarter, I am grateful for what I learned about the Vietnam War. We did learn more than just about the war, but I specifically emphasize this topic because having little knowledge on wars is something I am slightly insecure about. I have always hated learning about history, though I acknowledge that it is an important subject. It is always exciting uncovering hidden histories and experiences in my ASA classes and that is exactly what we did for the past 9 weeks. It makes me feel great that I can share this knowledge with my family and incorporate it into my studies.
The only critique of the class I would make is that I wish we discussed other SEA countries a little more. I know that Professor Valverde's speciality is on Viet Nam, which makes her discussions regarding Viet Nam so great, but it could have been slightly more diverse.
How can we incorporate the other countries into the course, while still carrying the same passion of Viet Nam studies?

Image result for south east asia

No comments:

Post a Comment