Saturday, March 7, 2020

Week10_Uyen Ngo_ASA150E

Just as the other courses that I have taken with Professor Valverde did, this class challenged me to think critically about a topic that I had walked into the class assuming I had a decent background of. The way the project was structured forced me to research intensively to uncover a perspective that is rarely discussed or written about. Interestingly though, there is a decent amount of articles written about these perspectives, referring to the North, that just do not receive as much exposure. It was important to remember these individuals as individuals rather than a collective evil, which is the narrative that is often seen and portrayed. These were people who lives were equally affected by the war, and a lot of them had no say in it. 
This class made me re-shift my perspective as a Vietnamese American, as while I believe I am quite in touch with my culture and Vietnamese heritage, the war has always been a gray area for me. It made me think of how the war affected me and how it has affected others in my generation, and how lucky I have been to have had it affect me in a positive way while others have had opportunities taken away from them, others who are the same age as me.

No comments:

Post a Comment