Saturday, March 7, 2020

Week 10_Janine Nguyen_ASA 150E

As we reach the end of the quarter, I still recall how Professor Valverde once said, "Raise your hand if you are Vietnamese. Now again, raise your hand if you think you know anything about the Vietnam War; if you raised your hand, you're probably wrong," a statement that still resounds in my head, due to how it is painfully true. Even though I have been fortunate enough to be able to attend this institution and take these classes in ethnic studies, it is privilege which has allowed for me to even learn a snapshot of my home country's history, and how dire the impact was on the Vietnamese diaspora. It is still unbelievable to me, how the United States government has essentially painted itself to be "saviors", although they caused widespread conflict and long-term damage on the Vietnamese landscape and people from issues such as Agent Orange. Living in San Jose my entire life, home to one of the biggest Vietnamese communities on a global scale, I have definitely witnessed how my community was shaped, whether it be through the establishment of churches, temples, or plazas; these are places that have allowed for my community members to find jobs, feel safe, and be at ease.

I liked how our class was structured so that we could actually take the time to learn these perspectives, which are often overlooked and given little recognition, rather than structured as a class where we are supposed to memorize everything. Learning about Southeast Asian American history is something that I am glad I got to do, especially during my time here at UC Davis, because it definitely has shifted my own perceptions, especially since I intend to do work in public health law and policy. These are things that we need to keep in mind, especially when helping underserved groups, because these compounded issues, such as intergenerational trauma, financial hardships, and cultural differences, are often difficult to address. I hope to continue to learn more, and continue my studies, so that I can be informed and bring light to these systemic problems. I aim to continue learning about my people's history, and to be able to accurately represent my community members.


Staff, E. (2016, August 17). How America's Biggest Vietnamese Community Made a Home in San Jose: MOFAD City. Retrieved March 7, 2020, from https://www.eater.com/a/mofad-city-guides/san-jose-vietnamese-history

No comments:

Post a Comment