Friday, February 28, 2020

Week8_UyenNgo_ASA150E

This week's reading talked about Agent Orange and the use of chemical warfare in general. In particular the section "Generations" really stood out to me and the story of Dang Van Son and his daughter Dang Thi Hoa. It surprised me and also impressed me how they have the grace to not complain or pity themselves or is even angry of how this has affected them, though they fully deserve to. It made me think of all the other children who are limited from opportunities through something that was not done by their people and was done before they were even brought into existence. It made me think of generations from now will still be affected by this. It reminds us of how the suffering of the war did not just end at the fall of Saigon in 1975, and how the people continue to suffer even after it all. The soldiers who survived did not get to come home to spend the rest of their days living a normal life. And it amazes me the courage and grace they continue to have despite it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment