Sunday, February 23, 2020

Week 8 Ellen Hickman 150E


One major aspect of this reading of Fred A. Wilcox’s  Scorched Earth: Legacy of Chemical Warfare in Vietnam is that it does not try to minimize the impact on agent orange not only in destroying crops but also in destroying the lives of those who had to live with it in the environment. This started with the concept of how Agent Orange was told to not be a poison and that anyone who said otherwise was suspect of being part of the Viet Cong. This not only silenced those who stood against it but also attempted to control the public feeling about using a chemical like this on humans or plants alike.

What really stood out to me though was on how it majorly impacted the farming communities in regards to food. Although I myself am not the best at being socially conscious about what food I’m eating, I still don’t want me or my kids to suffer from tumors. It was shown in families that did eat the food contaminated by Agent Orange that they could come down with tumors which would slowly grow. In one situation, “His entire body is covered with tumors the size of golf balls” (Wilcox 179). Immobilized because of this, it was explained that this happened after he ate potatoes impacted by Agent Orange. They formed, started growing and immobilized him. As someone who enjoys potatoes, I was shocked to see that named as the main cause for the tumor. It’s scary to think that my food choices now help determine my health and ability to take care of myself as I grow older. 

However, this paper does not intend to be a full conversation of how potatoes with chemicals can hurt someone really badly. It is an example of how war actions enacted on another country can be felt by them way longer than the end of the war. Grandparents, parents, and children are still dealing with the side effects of Agent Orange. By adding the letters from some of those negatively impacted by Agent Orange, some of whom currently have children or spouses with disabilities due to the side effects of the harsh chemicals dropped onto a country that we had waged war with a long time ago.

My biggest question after reading this is: what chemicals are we ignoring that could potentially cause so much harm to us and others around the world?




No comments:

Post a Comment