Sunday, February 16, 2020

Week7_Tiffany Huynh_ASA150E


Through this weeks reading, "Brother Enemy: The War after the War" by Nayan Chanda, many realizations were brought upon me. Growing up I felt like I knew little about Viet Nam as a result of lack of representation within my education systems. I knew even less about the Southeast Asian community. As a result, many of the pieces of information that I did know about my SEA roots was unclear. However, after reading this weeks readings, I now understand more about the things I didn't understand when I was younger. Having a hxstorical perspective to go off of really did bring reasoning, narrative, and understanding to many matters that I was previously unaware of. Additionally, I felt like this weeks reading heavily encapsulated the weekly theme of "Ancient Hxstory of Viet Nam, Cambodia, and Laos" because it highlighted the relations between the countries identified as Indochina.

Growing up, I only knew that there was tensions present between SEA communities. I never understood why. I only knew that some of my peers growing up didn't want to be friends with me because of my Vietnamese roots. Though I didn't know the hxstorical backing of these seemingly severed relations between different Southeast Asian communities, I could see them prevalently as I grew up. Even to this day I hear folx mentioning how they were raised to not really like or befriend certain people. Through reading about the political relations in the readings, I see where many folx's concerns arise from. There is deeply rooted hxstorical tensions that began years ago and still trickle into the present. As a result, this brings me to question: How can there be healing between SEA communities?

For me, I've been able to see healing between these communities as many have fought for unity and solidarity between South East Asian groups. I've seen healing in how South East Asians have begun to distinguish themselves from the rest of the Asian American community so that our hxstories can be further understood, renarrated, and reillustrated.

Below is a depiction of the identified "Indochina".

Image result for indochina

Sources:

No comments:

Post a Comment